Macoupin County, IL Veterans Assistance

Veterans Assistance Commission

Bobby L. Scott

Macoupin County Veterans Assistance Commission
220 N. Broad Street
P.O. Box 12
Carlinville, IL 62626
[email protected]
Veterans Assistance Facebook Page

Hours: Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday | 7:00AM to 3:00PM.

The Veterans Assistance Commission is an agency that is operated by and for veterans. The Commission provides aid to those military veterans and their families who reside in Macoupin County and that may qualify for and need assistance.

The Commission provides services that may not be available from other agencies. The Veterans Commission can assist veterans and their families with claims to the Department of Veteran Affairs for benefits such as: service-connected disability compensation, GI Home Loans, educational benefits, pension benefits, death/burial benefits and government insurance claims.

The Commission also works with veterans to procure benefits such as employment, public aid, social security and hospitalization from local, state, and federal agencies.

Other services include: providing just and necessary expenditures for the veterans (with an honorable discharge) for their family and dependents and providing payments toward the bare necessities of life such as shelter, utilities and food (total payment per case must be comparable to the payment levels established by the Department of Public Aid).

The Veterans Assistance program is one of emergency. The assistance is not designed to be an ongoing financial supportive program over any considerable time. Applicants receiving aid from any other governmental agency, whether county, state or welfare program, are not eligible.

Assistance is provided to “Military Veterans who served in the Armed Forces of the United States, whose last discharge from the service was Honorable.”

Financial eligibility is determined by the Department of Public Aid guidelines. The veteran must provide proof of honorable discharge (DD 214) along with proof of current residency within Macoupin County. Reserve or National Guard duty (for training) is non-qualifying.

Every veteran has a right to receive and submit a written application for assistance. Prior to receiving assistance, a food stamp appointment for application for Public Aid should be obtained. Unless the applicant is under a doctor’s care, an application for unemployment must be filed and a current Job Service document must be produced.

Entitlement is determined by rules and regulations adopted by the Veterans Assistance Commission which follow the guidelines established by the State of Illinois Department of Health and Human Services (Public Aid).

Voucher Payments
Financial assistance is never given in cash. All authorizations are done by voucher and require a receipt (or bill) when returned for payment. All housing and utility costs are paid directly to the person or agency to which payment is due. For food and personal hygiene articles, purchase orders (vouchers) are issued.

Job Search Requirements
Anyone receiving assistance is required, by law, to register with Job Service. In order to remain eligible for assistance an individual must actively seek employment and accept an offer of suitable employment. Anyone not seeking employment is not eligible for assistance from this office. Anyone unable to work must have a doctor’s order on file with this office.